I’m sick of doing something awesome, only for someone to say they’re surprised a millennial could do it. Same with my company- most of us are under 35, except the head of copy writing and our head of finance. What the hell does that have to do with anything? I guess all I’m and my fellow millennials are good for is a great subject for other generations to bitch about. Guess what? Other generations have their problems, too. Millennials really do get a bad rap, and I’m sick of it. So let’s play a game of Millennial Myth Busters.
I’m not entitled. I don’t think I deserve anything but a fair chance. I don’t expect to be given anything just because of my generation- which would be ridiculous anyway. I don’t expect being handed a 5 figure job just because I went to university, but I do expect a livable wage for my efforts.
2. I’m not a selfish brat. I can’t stand bratty people. I’ve been accused of it and it pisses me off. Usually, it’s other brats who seem to have a problem with me. Imagine that!
3. I didn’t demand university fees from my parents. My dad did pay for my first degree as he insisted that I go and study law. All the rest was paid for by myself. And most millennials I know put themselves through varsity and work really hard to make it happen for themselves.
4. I work hard for my money. I’m tired of being called lazy because of the generation I was born into. I don’t think I’m special, most of the millennials are hard workers. I work hard for every rand I earn. As a result, I don’t take money for granted and I’m better at my job, too.
5. I have a life outside social media. Big surprise! Yes my generation is social media obsessed but I do have a real life and a real job. I just happen to enjoy social media- a lot.
6. I don’t party life away. I have better things to do than party all the time. I really enjoy a good kuier session- I work hard, and kuier hard too.
7. I’m pretty damn proud of sobriety. I don’t get why it’s a thing to talk about how much you drank this weekend or post drunken selfies. And we millennials aren’t the only ones guilty of that.
8. I sleep late, but only because I work at night. The moment someone finds out I sleep past 6 a.m., I’m labeled as a lazy millennial. Hello, some people work different shifts. Late nights works the best when writing for my clients, so of course I sleep later. Same goes for the people I work with- they prefer working at night. So if you work until 2am I am sure you can sleep late.
9. I’m not a stereotype. The term “millennial” encompasses so many different stereotypes, both good and bad. I’m not a stereotype. I’m a woman. I’m a human. Enough with hating me just because I was born in the late 80s.
10. I’m not overly sensitive. I can’t turn on the news without seeing people (hello Generation X) protesting or bitching over something stupid. The dear Generation X is always complaining about freedom of speech, but the moment someone disagrees, they want free speech banned. (see what I did, not so nice when someone is stereotyping you is it?)
11. I’m open-minded, but not naive. If it’s online, it must be true, right? NOT! I’m very open-minded, but I’m not so naive as to believe anything I see or read. Unlike other generations that will forward you the same spam crap or the Type “AMEN” messages. Enough with that.
12. I don’t have to live on my phone. I was a late iPhone adopter. Now, I love it. Still, I can walk, talk, drive a car and socialize face to face without my phone.
13. I have a mirror —but I love selfies.
14. I know what’s going on in the world.
15. I’m not flighty. Businesses used to previous generations are annoyed with millennials. Apparently we love to take a job and quit a few months later. When I make a commitment, I stick to it. Yes, I’ll change jobs, but my resume isn’t going to list 10 different companies every year as I try to figure out what I want.
So don’t hate to much on us millennials… Most are just like me and are sick of the stereotypes.
Hippie at heart and advertising campaign designer and planner by trade. Love all things natural and passionate about organic living and earth. Natural parenting, day dreaming and coffee consumer.