Happy Birthday Ouma!
August 4, 2017
I’ve always seen my ouma as a superhero. She is beautiful and she is a boss- don’t think it gets better than that…
She always looked at me as a child with pure love and now as I’m an adult she looks up to me in admiration and I still see the love in her eyes. The same love that has been there for 31 years of my life.
So, here is why I think she is pure GOLD!
- All the times when she tells my dad to leave me alone and I just sit there with the biggest satisfied victory smile.
- That time when I was a kid and she let me have 2 cookies
- She knows how to make me laugh at my lowest times.
- She is one of the funniest people I know.
- Her advice is on point. Like if you hate your job, just think how much you will hate being at home unemployed and bored.
- She gives the best life hacks (like: use white vinegar on the stains on my white school shirts)
- She always gave me a little bit of extra money weekly when I had to go back to boarding school.
- She is my biggest fan.
- My low tolerance of crap comes from her…
- She always told me never to compete for a man’s attention. “Daar is sweerlik n miljoen van hulle. Maar onthou- daar is net een soos jy!”
- She is a feminist.
- She believes in doing what truly makes you happy. And supported me when I left my job (24 hours notice) to start my own business.
- Her confidence. My ouma is more than just beautiful. And she does not define herself by her attributes. She always stress how important intelligence is.
- She teaches me confidence and self worth.
- She loves coffee as much as I do.
Happy birthday ouma! And I promise this year to work more on my Afrikaans writing skills. And to live more and to be more in the moment.
Al my liefde,